©2019 - Medina County Veteran Services

VA Burial and Cemetery Information for Veterans



CEMETERY FLAG HOLDERS are furnished to mark the graves of all honorably discharged veterans buried in Medina County.
The Medina County Veterans Service Office supplies these bronze markers and the flags for them free of charge.

They can be obtained from our office.


Commemorative burial flag case; The Medina County Veterans Service Commission is proud to present the Next-of-Kin (NOK) of Veterans of Medina County that are county residents at their time of death a handmade solid oak flag case for their loved ones burial
flag. Funeral Directors are asked to provide our office with a copy of the VA Form 27 (Request for Burial Flag) and a copy of the veteran’s death certificate. Once we receive those two documents our office will notify the NOK with a letter and they are free to come pick it up.
ONLY ONE FLAG CASE PER VETERAN. Unfortunately we are only able to provide this service for deaths that have occurred after this notification and not in the past. At the same time we can order a Presidential Memorial certificate for the family as well.

Department of Veterans Affairs - Burial Flags 

Why Does VA Provide a Burial Flag?
A United States flag is provided, at no cost, to drape the casket or accompany the urn of a deceased veteran who served honorably in the U. S. Armed Forces.  It is furnished to honor the memory of a veteran's military service to his or her country.  VA will furnish a burial flag for memorialization for each other than dishonorable discharged

  • veteran who served during wartime
  • veteran who died on active duty after May 27, 1941
  • veteran who served after January 31, 1955
  • peacetime veteran who was discharged or released before June 27, 1950
  • certain persons who served in the organized military forces of the Commonwealth of the Philippines while in service of the U.S Armed forces and who died on or after April 25, 1951
  • certain former members of the Selected Reserves

Who Is Eligible to Receive the Burial Flag?
Generally, the flag is given to the next-of-kin, as a keepsake, after its use during the funeral service.  When there is no next-of-kin, VA will furnish the flag to a friend making request for it.  For those VA national cemeteries with an Avenue of Flags, families of veterans buried in these national cemeteries may donate the burial flags of their loved ones to be flown on patriotic holidays.
How Can You Apply?
You may apply for the flag by completing VA Form 21-2008, Application for United States Flag for Burial Purposes.  You may get a flag at any VA regional office or U.S. Post Office.  Generally, the funeral director will help you obtain the flag.
Can a Burial Flag Be Replaced? 
The law allows us to issue one flag for a veteran's funeral.  We cannot replace it if it is lost, destroyed, or stolen.  However, some veterans' organizations or other community groups may be able to help you get another flag.    
How Should the Burial Flag Be Displayed?
The proper way to display the flag depends upon whether the casket is open or closed.  VA Form 21-2008 does provide the correct method for displaying and folding the flag.  The burial flag is not suitable for outside display because of its size and fabric.  It is made of cotton and can easily be damaged by weather.

Department of Veterans - Burial and Plot-Interment Allowances

What Are VA Burial Allowances?
VA burial allowances are partial reimbursements of an eligible Veteran's burial and funeral costs. When
the cause of death is not service related, the reimbursements are generally described as two payments:
(1) a burial and funeral expense allowance, and (2) a plot or interment allowance.
Who Is Eligible?
You may be eligible for a VA burial allowance if:
  • you paid for a Veteran's burial or funeral, AND
  • you have not been reimbursed by another government agency or some other source, such as the de
  • ceased veteran's employer, AND
  • the Veteran was discharged under conditions other than dishonorable.
In addition, at least one of the following conditions must be met:
  • the Veteran died because of a service-related disability, OR
  • the Veteran was receiving VA pension or compensation at the time of death, OR
  • the Veteran was entitled to receive VA pension or compensation, but decided not to reduce his/her military retirement or disability pay, OR
  • the Veteran died while hospitalized by VA, or while receiving care under VA contract at a non-VA facility, OR
  • the Veteran died while traveling under proper authorization and at VA expense to or from a specified place for the purpose of examination, treatment, or care, OR
  • the Veteran had an original or reopened claim pending at the time of death and has been found entitled to compensation or pension from a date prior to the date or death, OR
  • the veteran died on or after October 9, 1996, while a patient at a VA-approved state nursing home.
How Much Does VA Pay?

Service-Related Death. VA will pay up to $2,000 toward burial expenses for deaths on or after September 11, 2001. VA will pay up to $1,500 for deaths prior to September 10, 2001. If the Veteran is buried in a VA national cemetery, some or all of the cost of transporting the deceased may be reimbursed.
Non-service-Related Death. For deaths on or after October 1, 2011, VA will pay up to $700 toward burial and funeral expenses (if hospitalized by VA at time of death), or $300 toward burial and funeral expenses (if not hospitalized by VA at time of death), and a $700.00 plot-interment allowance (if not buried in a national cemetery). For deaths on or after December 1, 2001, but before October 1, 2011, VA will pay up to $300 toward burial and funeral expenses and a $300 plot-interment allowance. The plotinterment allowance is $150 for deaths prior to December 1, 2001. If the death happened while the Veteran was in a VA hospital or under VA contracted nursing home care, some or all of the costs for transporting the Veteran’s remains may be reimbursed. An annual increase in burial and plot allowances, for deaths occurring after October 1, 2011, begins in fiscal year 2013 based on the Consumer Price Index for the preceding 12-month period.

How Can You Apply?
We recomend that you make an appointment with our office in order for us to do the following; fill out VA Form 21-530, Application for Burial Benefits. attach a copy of the veteran’s military discharge document (DD 214 or equivalent), death certificate, funeral and burial bills. They should show that you have paid them in full. 

Related Benefits
VA National Cemetery Burials / Headstones and Markers / Presidential Memorial Certificates / Burial Flags

Medina County Veterans' Service Office
210 Northland Dr.  Medina, Ohio 44256 ♦ Phone: 330.722.9368 ♦ FAX: 330.722.9378 ♦ E-mail: veterans@medinacountyveterans.org
Office Hours ♦ Monday - Wednesday - Thursday - Friday   8:00 AM - 4:00 PM ♦ Tuesday 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM (Closed Noon – 1:00 PM for Lunch)

Service for Those That Served and Their Families, "Because We Are Family”